Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Fight (Chapter 10)

We walked on in slence, the only sound being the animals and our footsteps. There was a rustle of movement to our left. We all stopped, tensing, looking to the left. There was another movement to our right. Faalan closed his eyes.
"There are 20 knights surrounding us at the moment." he whispered, voice almost unhearable. Kaija and I nodded slightly, just enough for Faalan to see. Taking out my flute, I prepared to play. Kaija pulled out his double swords and sunk into a defensive stance. Faalan's eyes become unfocused and rocks began to float around him, forming a moving shield. Knights burst out from the shadows, behind trees, and behind bushes. How very subtle. But I guess they realized that we knew they were there, so secrecy didn't matter much anyways. Fire, water, light, darkness, and earth flew into the air.
Through the din, I tried to blow loud enough to capture the knights under my spell. It was difficult to make sure Faalan and Kaija weren't affected because they were moving constantly.
Kaija weaved in and out, brutally slashing at the knights and dodging. Faalan's flying rocks ripped through the heavily armored men. They both had gained a large amount of scratches. Along with the scratches, a long gash ran across Kaija's back, and Faalan's shoulder was cut.
Blood stained the ground, turning the dried leaves underfoot a crimson red. I managed to make a few knights to become frozen, and Kaija stabbed them with his swords. But I couldn't do any more unless I walked into the center of the battle. I originally wanted to make the knights stab themselves with their swords, but then the music would only make the knights reach with their right hand to pull out a sword that was in a certain position on their left. For the knights whose swords were slightly more forward or backward or on their right side, their hand would miss. In the end, I settled with freezing them.
For a while, I had just stood on the side, afraid to get hurt. But watching Faalan and Kaija's determined expressions and their wounds, I couldn't let the battle continue like this. If they kept going at that rate, they would soon be over-powered by the knights.
I began to walk forward. I heard the concerned shouts of Faalan to stop. Ignoring him, I dodged attempted attacks of the knights. Many became frozen in their spots. Kaija, taking advantage of the situation, quickly beheaded them, their heads dropping to the ground with a thump.
I winced as a thrown knife grazed me, earning me a scratch across my hand. It began to hurt to play as I moved my fingers. Blood trickled down my arm and my hand began to throb. Another knife cut into my leg. Blood flowed quickly and I began to feel light-headed from the loss of blood.
The knights seemed to have figured out that if they kept out of earshot, they wouldn't fall under my spell. I tried to play louder and managed to freeze some of them. As they fought off Faalan and Kaija,
they threw knifes at me from a distance at irregular intervals. One knife eventually sunk into my right shoulder, and I screamed, my voice piercing through the air. The flute dropped to the ground as I fell, landing hard on my injured shoulder's side. My teeth gritted in pain and tears began to form. Faalan shot stones through the last of the knights and ran to my side. Kaija joined, leaning over me.
"This is going to hurt, Fala." Faalan murmured apologetically, turning me onto my stomach. What was he going to-
An intense pain, even worse than before, ripped through my shoulder.
Tears fell from my eyes and I cried out. Then, the pain subsided slightly. When I looked at my shoulder again, I saw that the knife was gone and only a bloody wound was left. I looked up to see Faalan holding a bloody knife in his hand.
"Sorry..." The brunette looked down, averting his eyes.
"It's...okay.." I gasped, a shudder running down my spine.
"Please...hand me...my flute..." I choked out, after failing to remove the lyre from my side. The smooth, cold instrument was placed gently into my hands. By who, I don't remember. I tried to sit up, yelping in pain from my shoulder and my injured leg. The ground slipped from underneath me and swelled like the ocean. After a few failed attempts, Faalan's gentle hands propped me up. Through teary eyes, I looked into his eyes, giving wordless thanks.
My hands shook as I lifted the flute, pain ripping through my shoulder. My hand as well, began to send jolts of pain through my arm. Eventually, the flute reached my lips, and I played a few shaky notes. The wound in my shoulder began to close. In a couple of minutes, all that was left of the deep cut was a large scab, one that would most likely go away in a few weeks. Too weak to even sit properly, I slumped down the ground and succumed to the dark folds of unconciousness.

AN: Yayayayayayayayayayayay! Fight! I love writing fight scenes even if they come out completely horrible!

No comments: