Sunday, May 18, 2008

Into Hiding (Chapter 7)

"We have to hide." Faalan stated. He now was recovered enough to think rationally after an hour more of crying and shaking. Well, relatively rationally.
"Well, let's go then." Kaija said, heading into the woods. Faalan and I followed silently, sadness hanging like a cloud around us. We made it to Faalan's house with no attacks. I felt safe now, but I knew that we wouldn't be able to remain holed up here forever. Our supplies would run out eventually and we would have to leave. The others probably knew too, but they didn't say anything.
Faalan shut himself in Khanna's room and Kaija started working out in the training room. I headed to the balcony where I had first learned of my gift with Khanna. I unbuckled the lyre from my side and strummed the strings, striking a mournful chord. The instrument called to me, and this time, I followed it.
Peals of flowing music flew in the air as tears streamed down my face again, staining the wood of the lyre and my clothing. The birds and animals seemed to cry out in harmony with my lyre, adding to the music. The last chords were swept away from the breeze and the sounds of the forest returned to normal. I rebuckled the lyre to my side.
My heart was heavy and it felt like it was being torn in half. I stared forward into the woods, not focusing on anything; just lost in thought.
I stayed like this for a while until a creaking noise behind me made me jump up, and I whipped out my flute to my mouth.
"Relax, Fala. It's just me." Kaija said quietly.
"Oh.." I murmured, putting the flute back into its case.
"I heard you playing."
"I see..."
"So... Faalan told me you're from the future."
"Did he?"
"Yes."
"Well, I am. But now..." I remembered something vital. My heart skipped a beat.
"What is it?"
"Khanna brought me here with her portal. I can't go back unless I find another way back." My heart pounded. How was I supposed to get
back home? I knew no one else who could move people through time.
"That would be a problem..." he murmured softly into my ear.
"Hey, what are you doing?!" I yelped, struggling to get to my feet.
"I can't hold it any longer. I just want to be with you. There's something about you that...that makes my heart pound."
"Stop! If you do this, you could change history! You could mess up the future! I'm not supposed to be here!" "I can't..."
"Yo-" I was cut off as his lips pressed suddenly to my own. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer. I broke him off, pulling away, gasping.
"Fala!" he cried out, reaching to me.
"No. Just leave me alone." I said icily, glaring at him. I turned my heels and strode away, leaving him with a shocked expression on his face. I collapsed into a heap in a random room and let my mind float off into nowhere.
"Fala?" a gentle voice called, snapping me out of my mindlessness. The door creaked as a ray of light shot into the room.
"What do you want?!" I snapped, whipping my head around, squinting at the bright light.
It was Faalan, looking worried and sad.
"Oh, I'm sorry, Faalan. I thought you were Kaija." I mumbled.
"What did he do?"
"He..." I stroked my lips with my fingers, wondering how to explain it.
"He didn't! He went and kissed you?!"
"So it seems, Faalan, so it seems." I whispered to no one in particular.

AN: All these chapters seems really boring now, I'm aware of that. There's nothing interesting really until a couple chapters later.

No comments: